
Paula Deen is beginning production at her home cooking studio on Wilmington Island next week, about a month before launching a multi-city live tour. This has some curious minds wondering, could a television show be next?
Deen’s new publicist, Jaret Keller, confirmed filming would begin Monday, May 19, but said it was in preparation for the live tour, not a separate television show.
“There are a number of preparations under way for the ‘Paula Deen Live!’ shows in June and lots of activity to ensure that we deliver a high quality, entertaining show to the level that Paula’s fans expect,” said Keller.
The “Live” tour kicks off June 21-22 in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and is being produced by Deen’s longtime collaborator Gordon Elliott of Follow Productions. Elliott is also executive producer of ABC’s daytime food talk show “The Chew” and helped launch Deen to stardom in 2001 with her first show on the Food Network.
Cheryl Day, co-owner of Back in the Day Bakery on Bull Street, will be one of the first guests to be featured on the pre-taped segment — though it was not clear how this would be incorporated into a so-called “live” show.
Day said she didn’t have many details about the taping but will bring some of her employees to be in the live studio audience.
“I was called and asked if I wanted to hang out with Paula for a shooting, and that was all I needed to hear,” said Day. “I love Paula. We’ve been good friends for years, and I’ve done her show nine or 10 times before.”
Deen shot two of her former Food Network shows “Paula’s Home Cooking” — and later “Paula’s Best Dishes” — from her Savannah studio from 2006 until 2013. Deen’s contract with the network was canceled last summer after a deposition she gave in which she admitted to using a racial slur several decades ago became widely publicized.
From about 2006 to 2008, Deen filmed another Food Network show called “Paula’s Party” in front of a small audience at Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House, which closed abruptly in early April.
Her TV programs often featured friends and family who assisted her during cooking segments. She has reportedly been renovating the Wilmington Island studio for more production work for an unspecified TV network.
One network on which Deen won’t appear is the Oprah Winfrey Network. A representative said they have no plans to do a cooking show with the chef.
As part of a $75 million investment deal publicized in February, Deen’s new company said she was in talks with TV networks, retail chains and other partners interested in her comeback. Deen has since announced the opening of a 20,000-square-foot restaurant in Pigeon Forge.
Day said she’s not sure how to prepare for Monday’s shoot but is looking forward to hanging out with Deen.
“Whatever we’ll be doing Monday, I’m just thrilled to be part of her comeback,” Day said.
Senior business reporter Mary Mayle contributed to this report.
BREAKOUT
Paula Deen among ‘most damaged brands’
The financial news website 24/7 Wall Street has ranked Paula Deen number nine on its list of the most damaged brands among the nation’s largest companies and most high-profile brands. General Motors and Bank of America were listed number one and two as most damaged brands.
As for Paula Deen, the website’s writers said:
Despite receiving $75 million to $100 million in private equity funding for her company, Paula Deen Ventures, in February, celebrity chef Paula Deen’s brand may be so damaged that a complete comeback is out of reach. Few celebrities faced more controversy than Deen, who admitted she had used racial slurs in the past. This is according to court documents from last year when a former manager at one of her restaurants sued Deen for race discrimination. Shortly after the admission, the Food Network cancelled Deen’s popular show, “Paula Deen’s Home Cooking.” Her statements cost her millions of dollars in endorsements and salary from the Food Network. Although the lawsuit was dismissed, she lost endorsement deals with Sears, Smithfield Foods and home shopping channel QVC. One of her restaurants, Uncle Bubba’s Seafood & Oyster House, which she co-owed with her brother, was also the subject of the race-discrimination lawsuit and was abruptly closed last month.